Monday 2 April 2012

Parfait dress from Colette

I've been wanting to make the Parfait dress by Colette Patterns since spotting it online a while ago now. It has a gathered bust, a fitted waist with an invisible zipper and fastens with buttons at the strap. 


I've not made many patterns for a long time. My Mum taught me how to do it when I was about 16 or 17 and I made a few little blouses. Then when I was at uni I made a winter coat but since then I've made mostly smaller items where I just figure it out as I go along, or roughly sketch out my own template. When I decided I wanted to start making patterns again I decided to do it on a smaller scale first and made up a lovely little dress from Oliver + S, see this blog post for pictures.  I was pleased with how it turned out and all the terminology all came back so I decided it was time to move onto something that I could actually wear!

I choose a tan coloured, lightweight cotton poplin with pale pink buttons for my first version of the dress. I wasn't entirely sure how it would go and didn't want to use fabric that was too expensive for my first try at an adult pattern since I was a teenager.

Here is how it turned out....



This is my invisible zipper, perfect for a dress like this as it just looks like a seam and all you see is the little toggle at the top (which is hidden under the arm anyway). 

I didn't have to change the pattern at all really. I cut out the size corresponding to my measurements and I just had to make the straps a little shorter by adjusting where the buttons go.

No comments:

Post a Comment